All the advice and tips you need to create a well-designed home
We take design pretty seriously at Ventura. Here you’ll find all our latest design tips and advice on how to create a home that suits you perfectly. A home that is not just designed for living – it is designed for you!
Top tips and tricks for designing your rooms
Check out our design advice for designing each room in your home.
Bathroom and ensuite
- Lots of light gives a sense of space and helps kill germs.
- Who uses the room will impact things like the size of the shower, number of vanities, and the placement of mirrors.
- The simpler the layout, the easier it will be to clean.
- Easy access is best, particularly for kids and guests.
- Avoid positioning your bathroom or ensuite at the front of your home, as it can affect your elevation.
- Locate the hub of your home where it is easily accessible and looks out to the main living area.
- Placing the sink, oven/cooktop and fridge in a ‘triangle’ offers great functionality.
- Ensure you have lots of storage for pantry items.
- Pot drawers are one of the best decisions you can make.
- The position of your sink should reflect how you use your kitchen.
- Make sure all the furniture fits and can be placed just where you want it.
- Avoiding windows to the floor in minor rooms makes them easier to furnish and less prone to damage.
- Hide away your clothes by choosing built-in or walk-in robes.
- You can never have too many power points.
- Ideally, locate near the kitchen for added convenience.
- Storage is key, especially for cleaning equipment and the ironing board.
- Having a toilet off the laundry? Be sure you are happy for guests to walk through this area.
- If you have a swimming pool, your laundry is a great place to dump wet clothes and towels.
- Always have direct outdoor access.
- Be sure there’s enough room for your furniture by drawing it on your plan to check it all fits.
- For entertainment purposes, it’s best to have this room near the kitchen and alfresco.
- To ensure comfortable living, don’t make this room smaller than 4.5m x 4m.
- Choose a TV that suits the room. Too big or too small will look odd.
- Factoring in solar orientation will help maximise winter sun and summer shade.
- Love to BBQ and entertain outside? Even when you’re preparing the salad, a kitchen opening outside will always keep you close to the action.
- A swimming pool usually means dripping wet kids. Consider creating an accessible space for them where they can eat outside (and dry off at the same time).
Most important things to consider when designing your home
Planning and designing a home is no easy feat. It requires a wide array of highly specialised skills. Not least of which is the ability to listen – to exactly what you want and expect from your new home.
With over 25 years experience building and designing homes, we understand exactly what it takes to ensure you live a well-designed life in the newly built home of your dreams.
So what are our key considerations when designing a new home? Take a look below.
Kid-free or kid-friendly home?
Design 101: The people who’ll live in your home are integral to how it is designed. If you have young children, for example, we’d consider rooms near the master bedroom. And for security reasons, we’d avoid putting their rooms at the front of the home
Maximising block features and location
Wide or narrow? Sloping or flat? Rear or corner? Morning or afternoon sun? Clearly, your block has a strong influence on designing a home that is a liveable and positive space, as well as being energy efficient.
How you live in your home
Garage tinkerer? Backyard cricketer? Yoga guru? Outdoor entertainer? Chances are, there’s one or all of these in your home. How you and your family live affects the orientation and configuration of spaces, the zoning of areas, the separation of rooms and how these all interact.
A sustainable, energy efficient home
Designing your home to take the best advantage of your block’s orientation is a critical consideration. Getting this right doesn’t just mean a more comfortable living environment, it can mean reduced energy bills too.
Future proof your home
How long do you plan on living in your new home? Will there soon be the patter of tiny feet? Or may an elderly parent moving in? Whatever your crystal ball tells you, we’ll help design a home that considers future life changes.
Budget and timeframes
You’ve got a budget. We’ve got ideas … lots of them. Together, we’ll come up with a stylish and functional home that looks amazing and doesn’t cost the earth. We can even recommend alternative building materials to get you in your new home even quicker.
Style and design tips and advice
Check out our recent blog articles for great design and style advice.
Looking for design advice?
Our friendly and dedicated team of Design and New Homes consultants are happy to help guide you on your building journey. Simply complete this form and we’ll be in touch.
Why compromise on design when you can build a new home ideally suited to your lifestyle? With our interactive design selector, we’ll help you find your perfect home design.